Tampa Domestic Violence Lawyers
Helping Clients Protect Themselves and & Their Family
Florida defines domestic violence has an act of violence or threat of violence between family or household members. If you believe you are or may be a victim of domestic violence, it’s important you understand your legal options. Devolder Law Firm’s Tampa domestic violence attorney can help you take action against your aggressor and regain safety in your home.
Call our office at (813) 773-8233 to schedule your initial consultation.
What Is Considered Domestic Violence?
Florida defines violence as an act of:
- Aggravated assault
- Sexual assault
- Sexual battery
- False imprisonment
- Or any criminal action resulting in physical injury or death
To be considered domestic violence, the above actions must be threatened or committed against:
- Spouses (current or former)
- Blood relatives
- Roommates (current or former)
- Individuals who have children together
Excepting parties who share children, the aggressor must currently or formerly have resided with the victim in the same dwelling.
Legal Actions to Take Against Domestic Violence in Tampa
If you are a victim of, or have reasonable cause to believe you will be, a victim of domestic violence, you can seek a court order for protection. To obtain this document, you must submit a petition to the court requesting a protective order.
To ensure you submit an order for protection that fits your situation, you should seek the guidance of an experienced Tampa domestic violence lawyer. Depending on your situation, there are 4 orders of protection you may be entitled to receive.
In Florida, you can seek a:
- Domestic Violence Protective Order: This document can go into effect within 24 hours of being issued. It excludes the aggressor from contact or dwelling in the same residents as you. This order can last between 15 days to 1 year.
- Repeating Violence Protective Order: If the aggressor has armed you in the previous 6 months, you can file for this legal document. This order excludes the aggressor from contacting or dwelling in the same residence as you. It can last between 15 days to 1 year.
- Dating Violence Protective Order: This document is used for people who have previously or currently been in a romantic or intimate relationship.
- Sexual Violence Protective Order: This document is used when the aggressor forcibly commits a sexual act against your will.
Penalties for Violating a Protective Order in Wesley Chapel
A violation of any of the above orders is a 1st degree misdemeanor that could be punishable by up to 1 year in jail.
A protective order violence, includes but is not limited to:
- Refusing to leave a shared residence
- Being within 500 feet of your residence, school, or place of employment
- Committing another domestic violence action against you
- Contacting you through telephone, email, traditional mail or any other media
- Being within 100 feet of your vehicle
- Defacing or destroying your personal property
Contact Our Wesley Chapel Domestic Violence Lawyers Today
When you choose to work with Devolder Law Firm, you are choosing to work with an attorney whose number one priority is protecting your rights and best interests. We will quickly petition the court for a protective order and help you bring safety to your home.
Call our office at (813) 773-8233 or fill out our online contact form to speak with our compassionate attorney.
Meet Our TeamCommunication, Relatability, Approachability
ReviewsSee What Former Clients Have To Say
Bryan and his team are outstanding. They truly invests in their clients and genuinely cares — which makes all of the difference in the success of any case. Due to the complexity of my case, I was not expecting a great outcome — Sara (paralegal)- Jose G.
Devolder Law Firm is professional, caring, attentive, firm in helping their clients reach solutions and ethical.- Amanda S.
I absolutely LOVE this law firm. Bryan Devolder is ALWAYS available, patient, and understanding.- Crystal C.
Divorce is not easy mentally, emotionally, or financially. Devolder Law firm was by my side throughout this process and can happily say that the divorce was finalized recently!- Tom A.
Brian and Sara took care of my divorce and made it as painless as possible and got an outcome for that was well more then I could have thought of! I- Chris C.
Why Choose Our Firm?Choosing the Right Law Firm Can Make a Difference
Our firm acknowledges clients concerns about paying for an attorney. We keep hourly fees reasonable for the average suburban family.
Our firm is conveniently located in a suburban first-floor office building with easy-access parking, less than 5 minutes from i-75.
Our clients always come first. We take the time to get to know you and understand your case. We're always available when you need us most.
We consider both legal and practical solutions that will help you achieve your goals.
Our goal was to create a law firm that you can relate to, one that is convenient to your home and easy to communicate with.
We understand you need answers - we prioritize your needs and keep you up to date with your case every step of the way.